Skip to main content

Political considerations in soccer

I had to laugh when I read the following excerpt in a piece from the New York Times about how well Euro 2012 went in Poland despite the 'sensationalist BBC Panorama documentary entitled “Stadiums of Hate.”' The writer was remembering how his grandfather and great-uncle influenced his support of Poland, unless political considerations took precedence.

In Poland, soccer and national identity have always been tightly stitched together. As a soccer-obsessed child in the early 1990s, I was subjected to emotional blackmail each time the Polish team played. My grandfather Zygmunt, a hard-boiled communist, supported Poland no matter what. Unless Poland was playing Russia. I was ordered to do the same. In reality, Zygmunt paid little attention to the game and usually spent the 90 minutes lecturing my father, an Englishman, on why Western soccer had no soul and was doomed to fail.

My main football companion was my great-uncle, Dudek, a Holocaust survivor. If the Polish team was playing we would tune in and cheer them on. Unless Poland was playing Israel. During these games I was urged to support Israel, my decision helped along by a bribe of Dudek’s oversweet vanilla halva. As a child with a sweet tooth and flexible morals, I always agreed.

My Dad was soccer mad as well and always took great interest when Poland was playing.

Brings back memories! :)

Related link: Poland’s Beautiful Victory

Comments

  1. The predictions of violence before the tournament got me thinking about the negativity that the media gets into. I remember similar predictions before the last world cup in south africa and that never eventuated either. Not that I believe anything the media says anyway, viewing them as a bunch of lying heretics.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please be respectful. Foul language and personal attacks may get your comment deleted without warning. Contact us if your comment doesn't appear - the spam filter may have grabbed it.