Skip to main content

Some thoughts on men pretending to be gay and opposition to Christianity

I went on holiday last week visiting my sister in Sydney, Australia. Apparently, I brought the bad New Zealand weather with me as it was much cooler there last week and this week it has gone back to normal. For me anyway, a cooler Sydney was a relief as I've now acclimatised back to living in NZ and can't really handle heat anymore.

Before I left last week, I changed my profile page to link to my faith blog, Dipped in Water, which up until Oct 6, has been a totally private blog, accessible only to those who knew where it was. I think that must have just been myself and my brother.

Yesterday, I made a couple of comments around the place (on KiwiBlog and TrueBlue).

The comment on KiwiBlog was about a man who pretended to be gay for a year and then wrote a book about his experience. During that year he lied to his mother and many of his friends about his sexual orientation, and also dropped friends who called on him to repent of his sins. I find this sort of deception highly disturbing, especially the lies he told to his own mother, who would have been devastated at this change in direction of his life. And to have it just be a pretense and to put her through all that just so he could write a book is a terrible thing to do.

On TrueBlue, RedBaiter wrote a post about what he sees as an "obsessive and pathological" opposition to Christianity in New Zealand and how he thinks that it comes from a Marxist influence. I don't disagree with that at all, as Marxism does have a hatred for Christianity and elements of Marxism do pervade our way of thinking. However, I also think this opposition does go deeper, that Christianity is hatred because it is opposed to the way of the world. Jesus Himself said:

“All men will hate you because of me, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved.” ~ Matthew 10:22

“If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you.” ~ John 15:18-19

"Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." ~ Matthew 5:11-12

So, from the perspective that the opposition to Christianity is actually an opposition to Christ Himself, it's probably a good sign for us who are hated that we are walking in His light, even if that way is the more uncomfortable one for now.  Not that I really feel a lot of discomfort, unless some one actually physically threatens me, which has happened on a number of occasions now.

Comments